Thursday, July 7, 2011

Happenings and Prospects

Posted by hiday81 at 10:08 AM
I apologize for the relative dearth of posts here since WWDC. That week in San Francisco always tends to backlog me pretty badly (I returned from WWDC at inbox 1138 - and that's after spending the return flight answering e-mails), so I've been pretty much heads down on work-related stuff ever since. I've also, at the same time, been consciously trying to back away from the 12-15 hour days, 7 days a week schedule that I'd fallen into trying to help get MartianCraft off the ground. Those two have conspired to give me very little time for writing lately, but I think things are under control now.

I've got my semi-mythical OpenGL ES from the Ground Up 10th installment on skeletal animation nearly finished and hope to have it posted within the next couple of weeks, and it's bit of a doozy. My goal with this post is to make one of the more intimidating topics in graphics programming approachable. Fingers crossed, it's been a challenge making this topic approachable, but I think I'm getting there.

A few other bits of news.

First, work has officially started on Beginning iPhone 5 Development. Yes, I know it probably should be called Beginning iOS 5 Development, but as of right now, we're sticking with the naming sequence Apress established with the first book. Dave, Jack, and I have already started updating the book for Xcode 4, ARC, Storyboards, and all the other cool new stuff and are hoping to have the book ready to go to press when the GM version of iOS 5 ships this fall.

Second, I purchased a new domain today. There's nothing there yet, but OpenGLESBook.com is now mine, and I have big plans for it. Once Beginning iPhone 5 Development is in the can, I'm going to revisit my partially written OpenGL ES 2.0 book. I plan to revise it to use GLKit and to add material about the very cool new OpenGL ES tools we're getting with iOS 5.

As of right now, my plan is to self-publish. I'm still researching the exact process, tools, and services that I'll use, but my plan is to sell the book without DRM and at a reasonable price. I'd like to have an early access program, however since a lot of the material I'll be covering will be under NDA until iOS 5 goes GM, I can't promise that at this time.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Post

 

Copyright © 2011 Next Iphone | Store Mobile Phone Store